Design and Technology
Design and Technology
To deliver an engaging and challenging curriculum, which inspires the children and provides them with a range of hands on experiences and practical activities. To develop the children’s understanding of designing, making and modifying products, whilst equipping them with the skills and knowledge needed to tackle a range of activities safely.
- Design and Technology resources are available for all teachers to use and can be found in the Design and Technology trolley in the hall.
- Risk assessments are completed before using tools and equipment to ensure the safety of the children.
- Each year group carries out Design and Technology activities which include: mechanisms, textiles, food and structures.
- A variety of methods are used to record children’s work, such as: pictures, structured worksheets, sketches, diagrams, flow charts, model making, written explanations, photographs, school displays and the occasional video recording.
Our children enjoy the opportunity to be creative and develop their ideas. They are always keen to learn new skills and enjoy opportunities to put their knowledge into practice. The children’s Design and Technology work is often cross-curricular, providing meaningful links to science, geography and history.
Our Design and Technology curriculum.
The documents below outline our Design and Technology curriculum.
Design and Technology Curriculum
This document outlines how we have planned to deliver the National Curriculum in Design and Technology across Years 1- 6.
Design and Technology and EYFS
The EYFS framework is structured very differently to the national curriculum as it is organised across seven areas of learning rather than subject areas.
Whilst we prefer not to refer to Design and Technology as a discrete subject on the Early Years and Foundation Stage curriculum, it can be found within various areas of learning.
For example, relevant statements can be found in the following areas:
• Physical Development
• Expressive Arts and Design
This development of knowledge and understanding does not happen in isolation without simultaneously and symbiotically developing other areas of learning.
Our EYFS curriculum document provides the overview of how we deliver the EYFS framework in school and prepare our children for the National Curriculum covered from Year 1 upwards.
National Curriculum Mapping
Our National Curriculum coverage mapping document highlights were the Design and Technology National Curriculum objectives are delivered in school.
Please click the link for Pupil Voice in D&T
Please click the link for D&T in Action